I have set some goals that I am shooting to accomplish by the end of the year. They are typical spiritual goals such as temple attendance, scripture reading, listening to conference talks, etc. Well today while I was listening to Elder Holland's testimony of the Book of Mormon, it got me thinking about my testimony of the gospel and how I received actual knowledge of the truthfulness of the gospel.
In order to set the scene for how I got my testimony, I will need to give you some background info about who I was and what was going on in my life at the time. As a 19-year-old kid, an experience that I hated, but am now way grateful for, had just occurred. I was out walking it off in the middle of the night trying to shake off the reality of what had just happened. My world was very dark. I felt as if I had lost my friends, my family and all those who I was close to. I felt so lost.
While out on my midnight walk, I went over to a bridge that stretched over a canal that was nearby. I went there for the purpose of being alone with my thoughts and as far away from others as I could have been during that moment. I needed direction. It was there were I knelt and opened up my heart to my Father in Heaven.
I asked if he was there. I asked if the church was true. I asked for forgiveness. I asked and asked and asked for answers. Throughout the prayer, I was fully expecting a glorious moment. I was expecting to feel a feeling that I would be sure would give me an answer and that immediately all my problems would go away. Oddly enough, I received no answer.
I was upset. I stormed home in a frustrated manner, climbed into bed, cursed the world, and then went to sleep.
The following morning was filled with thoughts. My mind raced all day. When nightfall came, I went for a walk again. I couldn't handle things. I thought the gospel was false, I felt like I had wasted my whole life on a lie. It was then I had a friend call me and check up on me. It was completely random.
She asked if everything was okay. I responded with my answer cursing the church and saying that it wasn't true. Telling her that I had prayed and my prayer wasn't answered. She was silent.
She then simply told me that the Lord answers prayers when they are needed to be answered.
But I wanted my answer now!
She told me to go home, settle down, and throw in the film The Testaments. I reluctantly agreed to do so if I even had a copy of the film. To my shock and awe, it was sitting right on top of the DVD rack when I got home. I threw it in. Throughout the film I had mixed feelings. I wasn't sure if it would change my mind. But then one scene sparked an inferno inside of me.
There is a scene in this film where Christ appears before the Nephite's who were here in the America's before the Native Americans. In this scene, as soon as Christ appeared, I had that incredible feeling that I was asking for the night before.
I knew there was a Christ. I knew that He died for me. I knew that the Church was true.
This feeling came over me so fast that I could not contain my emotions. Yes, I the mighty Brach cried.
It encouraged me to finish the Book of Mormon.
I got to the end and read Moroni's challenge (Moroni 10:4): "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
I accepted his challenge. I prayed again asking if the feelings I had felt earlier were in fact true. They were. I promise you my friends, they were.
I now am able to stand up and bear to you with all my heart that Christ lives. That his teachings are in the Book of Mormon and come to His living prophets today. I can stand and tell you that He loves each and everyone of us. I can stand and tell you that we have a purpose here on Earth. We are our Heavenly Father's children. All of us. I know that our Savior Jesus Christ payed the price of sin. I know that through his infinite atonement we are able to be clean from any errors we have succumbed to. I KNOW THESE TO BE TRUE!
For anyone who is in darkness, please humble yourself and turn to the Lord. Doing so was the greatest decision of my life. I was lost but now am found. He loves you and will accept you and show you His love.
I challenge you to read the Book of Mormon. If you don't have one, message me and I will get you one (yes it will be free for you). This book is more than a book. The teachings in it will better your life. I promise.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true.
Sorry that today's post was long. I don't try to do that on purpose. I just kept typing what I felt needed to be said. As usual, if you know anyone who can use this message, please share this message with them if you feel it can help.
Thanks everyone.


I am really enjoying your posts. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete